Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Russian Caravan tea

This tea has an interesting history.  It was named for the 18th century camel caravans that made transcontinental journeys to trade the tea.  The six thousand mile trip from the Chinese border to Russia took at least six months and was an arduous journey.

P3240385My interest was piqued while reading a book recommended by Angela at Tea With Friends.  Serendipitea by Tomislav Podreka is proving to be a very entertaining read.  He says “The tea was carried in chests perched high on the camels’ humps to keep it as far as possible from the animals’ odiferous hides.”

The tea got its character from absorbing the smell of countless campfires along the way.  Today you will find a variety of blends, many include Lapsang Souchong to impart the smoky flavor. 

Although I’m not a fan of Lapsang Souchong, you might like to try some.  Adagio Teas has it and it has received good reviews from their customers.  I’ve been very satisfied with my purchases from the company.

2 comments:

Angela McRae said...

I'm so happy to hear you like the book! I often wonder if I have oddball tastes in reading, so it's good to know a kindred spirit likes it as well. And I like Russian Caravan tea, I just don't think about the fact it may contain some of the dreaded Lapsang Souchong!

Appleshoe said...

Hello- There is another lovely teacup you have. I like it a lot and this tea sounds interesting. I do like things with a smoky taste. I'll have to check out this book as well, it looks like a good read. Thank you for the information. Take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...